![]() |
| What did I do to be so black and blue? by Louis Armstrong - referenced in the book |
Throughout this story, I found the narrator frustratingly uppity and insistently naive, as he finds himself contorted to the vices of his surroundings due to his inhumane invisibility. Yet, like a chameleon, or a slimy fish in a murky pond - he takes to his surroundings quite aptly even when they shape and contort him to find or perhaps lose a part of himself in the process.
Yes, invisible or not, he is not left unscathed by the fiery furnaces of life - from a southern campus to the hustling and bustling streets of Harlem - as he earns experience and insights into not only those around him but how he himself is viewed in the world, more of him disappears ... and in those moments that is perhaps where he is found. When he confesses to himself his own lack, where his faults are buried deep within him, those moments when he can see his own invisible chains burning through his vivid flesh, searing his very soul to torment - our narrator sweats a bead of virtue that even the most hard-hearted reader against him might find likable.. a gem/crumb in the crevice of his see-through character.
And another thing ... perhaps like most personalities in life I dislike this invisible felon because I can see some familiarity with him in myself. A fiery and indignant nature that shimmers beneath a contrite facade of calm submission. He feels he knows so much when in fact he knows so little and his assumptions get him in trouble which is a trait I can definitely relate too. Yet, thankfully that is where I and the main protagonists' similarities (hopefully) end. I can't say that I am thankful to have read this book or that I enjoyed it but it did stir enough passion in me to continually close it and figuratively hurl it across the room in distaste. When I eventually came to the end I was surprised and a tad disappointed feeling cheated by the end that was not the end.
Yet, with all these perhaps negative things I've said I'm glad I stuck through it, as there are some grand concepts about identity and the importance of seeing things how they really are - even if such wisdom is told through a scattered and cluttered mind which I guess can only be expected when you've been bitterly unseen.
Concepts: Race, identity, equality, sameness, difference, growing up, black manhood, America, etc.
Summed up thoughts: Don't get me wrong, I think Ellison is a great writer but, this subject matter is heavy and if you're looking for rainbows after the continual storms you'll be left waiting ...
Fav part: The first paragraph in the prologue - if there's a paragraph that ever hooked me it was this one!
Have you read Ralph Ellison Invisible Man?
Did you like it?
Does it sound like something you'd like to read or avoid?
Your comments are always welcomed and appreciated!

0 Yorumlar