Fairfax County Motor Officer, circa late 40s. Photo courtesy of Fairfax County Police Online.
On the morning of the 22nd of September, 2011, I got into my car to go to the gym before heading off to work and I noticed the interior was disheveled. One of my back seats was flipped down, revealing the trunk and the center console compartment was ransacked. Sometime during the wee hours of the night, a thief and/or thieves made off with my road-side emergency kit and get this, my window break hammer.
This is not the first time my car has been a victim of theft. In June 2010, my car's back window was smashed and my work laptop was stolen.
http://bettysvintagemusings.blogspot.com/2010/06/rant.html
The fact this happened again makes me very mad. But unlike the first incident, I had a camera recording the whole thing. In the aftermath of having my car window destroyed, property taken, and having to wait two months to have my window replaced, my husband decided to take action by installing cameras in various locations on our home.
After realizing my car was indeed robbed, I went back inside my house and notified my husband. Then for an hour, he and I both scanned hours of overnight footage until we finally found the frames showing a young male (probably high school age) pulling up to the curb in a light-colored car with an unseen accomplice at 1:16 a.m. The kid i.e. "ASSHAT" is seen attempting to access to my husband's car (with no success) and then observed gaining entry to mine. (Like a total idiot, I left my car unlocked). This brat rummaged in my car for a few minutes before making off with my auto kit and car hammer. I mean, really, kid? You just *had* to steal a 10 dollar car hammer? You are either really stupid or just a loser so desperate to prove to your friends how "gangster" you are. Piece of shit.
Sorry about the language but I admit it. I am mad. What gets me is how stupid someone would have to be to risk getting caught, possibly getting charges pressed, and going before a judge over something as trivial as 10 bucks. Moreover, how can anyone (young or not) think it's okay and/or 'cool' to steal from people? Have they no conscience? When I was 5, I stole a piece of 5 cent "Bazooka Joe" bubble gum from the local 7-11. My dad heard me fiddling with the wrapper in the backseat of our 70s station wagon and he promptly drove me back to the store to pay the clerk and say I was sorry. I was bawling, shaking, and scared! I thought for sure I was going to jail! Even though it was just a bit of gum, I remember the guilt and shame I felt. With that said, how can people steal 'real things' can sleep peacefully at night?
Despite my surly mood and wanting to punch that kid, I took a deep breath and called the non-emergency number for the police. Within 20 minutes, an officer arrived. He took my statement, dusted and printed my car, and my husband made him a CD of the camera footage detailing the theft. Before the officer left, he asked if I wanted to press charges if the kid was caught, I said "Heck yes!" Even though the items that were taken do not add up to much, I want to make a point that actions have consequences.
In spite of my previous chagrin, I am okay now. No one was hurt, my car was not damaged, and nothing of major value was taken. I have done all I can with the police so the only thing now is to let it go and to be more diligent when it comes to locking my car!

0 Yorumlar